On Memorial Day, many of us will honor and remember those who have served and given their lives in the armed forces. In years past most of us have gathered in backyards across the country in remembrance for the first cookout of the season.
This year may be difference due to quarantine. Your party may not be as big but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have an amazing time (and eat amazing food!), and thanks to technology you can add in family and friends via Zoom or other types of video calls.
If this is your first summer eating plant-based, you may be wondering how you can create an amazing spread for your family. Wonder no more! Here are some awesome tips on how to go plant based for Memorial Day.
- Vegetables: The Kaia nutrition mantra: Eat your veggies first! There are many amazing ways to load up the table with veggies. Salads, veggie platters, and grilled veggies to name a few. Nothing beats grilled corn on the cob, mushrooms and eggplant!
- Hot dogs and hamburgers: Say what?! Yep! There are many awesome veggie hot dogs, sausage links and burgers on the market these days that would taste amazing grilled. Beyond Meat, Smart Dogs, Tofurky to name a few brands.
- Sandwiches: Veggies (grilled or raw) and some amazing sourdough or sprouted whole wheat bread (or gluten free) and you have the makings of an amazing sandwich. Get a good vegan mayo, a variety of mustards and other toppings and you are good to go.
- Fruit: Fruit platters, fruit salad (without the creamy dressing), and even grilled watermelon are all awesome ways to add fruit to your Memorial Day menu. Fruit also makes a great dessert option.
- Beverages: Fruit infused waters and low-sugar kombucha are great choices to stay hydrated while you enjoy the day.
Eating plant-based doesn’t have to be boring. There is always a new vegetable to try or a new way to prepare it. I hope these tips will give you a few ideas to make your Memorial Day menu healthy and delicious.